Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ridin' the Texas Back Roads

I took off Monday about noon and headed north west from the Rio Grande Valley to the wildflower strewn Texas Hill Country.  I parked my bike by this beautiful stream just outside of Utopia, Texas yesterday at about 2:00 P.M. and enjoyed the quiet gurgle of clear water over limestone.  After refreshing my senses for a short time, I rode into Utopia and stopped at the Lost Maples Cafe for some friendly conversation and a piece of homemade coconut meringue pie.  I sipped hot coffee from a cafe mug between bites to freshen my palate.  Plentiful moisture this year has created a magnificent wildflower bloom.

 I rode the hills for a while before turning my bike south toward home.  I arrived last night at 9:00 P.M. tired, but refreshed.  My trip meter for the two days read 750 miles.  I hope to return soon.


Zephyrs stir miniature
soldiers of lavender
and salmon pink
standing at attention
on a carpet of pastel green.

Purple tendrils
surround a phone pole.

Splashes of white and pink
peak out from
Winter’s stark remnants.

An ice blue sky
domes the hillsides
carpeted in yellow and blue.

Songbird fugues
pierce the air
backed up by the
steady gurgle of a
crystal stream.

Subtle hints of perfume
carried on the breeze
refresh and revive
my wakening spirit.

Dennis Price

2 comments:

  1. Just reading that poem tells me that you were paying excellent attention! So was I...to the pie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah sounds so wonderful. Nothing like cold running water in hot weather to bring peace. Nice bike. Hope you get lots of use out of it.

    Best

    ReplyDelete

I encourage your comments. Keep the language civil and you will be published.